Prepare Your Store Now For Super Bowl 2023 Snacks Rush
With Super Bowl 2023 around the corner, it's important to make sure your store is ready for the rush of customers who will be buying snacks and other items for their viewing parties. Find out what you need to do to ensure your store is set up for success and capitalize on the increased demand for game day feasts.
Super Bowl is one of the biggest snacking events of the year.
Super Bowl Sunday is one of the biggest snacking events in the United States. People flock to stores to stock up on everything they need for the big game, including drinks, chips, dips, cookout items, and much more. As a store owner you should make sure you are prepared to meet the increased demand.
“The day before the Super Bowl is crazy. It is our most busy day of the year, even busier than New Year’s Eve,” said Fred Bell Jr., who owns La Grande’s Short Stop Xtreme Froyo and Espresso with his wife, Tara. (The Observer, 2022.)
Super bowl parties are picking up again after dropping during the pandemic. In 2021, 7% of adults reported that they planned to host a Super Bowl party, and in 2022, that percantage increased to 17%. (Winsight Grocery Business, 2022.) We can expect this trend to continue and for even more parties to take place in 2023.
What to expect: Grocery Stores and Convenience Stores
Before the Super Bowl, convenience stores and grocery stores should expect an uptick in demand for snacks and drinks. Good preparation is key to capitalizing on the rush of customers during this period.
Grocery stores tend to see Super Bowl shopping increase in the week leading up to the big game. Customers are seeking items such as chips, wings, soft drinks, beer, dips, beef, and barbeque supplies.
Convenience stores are more likely to see an increase in sales immediately before the game and during half-time.
For both types of store, that's a small window of time. So, it’s important to forecast demand ahead of time and stock up accordingly, to ensure that you don’t run out of popular items.
Stock up on popular snacks.
One of the best ways to prepare for Super Bowl 2023 Snacks Rush is to make sure you have adequate supplies of popular snacks. Here are the categories to pay attention to:
- Potato chips and tortilla chips are some of the most popular Super Bowl snacks, so make sure you're well-stocked on those. Additionally, consider trendy dip offerings such as spinach and artichoke dip, queso dip, or guacamole.
- Popular drinks such as soft drinks, beer, wine, and spirits should also be stocked up ahead of time to meet a potential influx in demand.
- Chocolate candy sees an increase of 15% in sales in the week leading up to the Super Bowl, so you'll definitely want to make sure your candy aisle is game-ready. (Skupos, 2019.)
- Spicy snacks are particularly popular with Gen Z and millenials. (Convenience Store News, 2022.)
- Additionally, consider stocking specialty items such as novelty snacks and team merchandise that can attract customers and turn them into repeat shoppers.
Chili Lime Peanuts
Hot & Spicy Cashews
Create merchandizing displays that maximize sales.
To maximize sales during the Super Bowl Snack Rush, tweak your store’s layout and create merchandising displays that appeal to customers. This includes up-front displays with all of the popular items such as chips, dips, beverages and other snacks. Make sure to provide customers with a variety of options.
Beer sales increase by 30 - 50% and lottery ticket sales are up 15 - 20% during each Super Bowl season. (Skupos, 2019.) Capitalize on this opportunity by placing snack displays near those sections, encouraging impulse purchases with your customers.
No matter which team you're rooting for, you can win Super Bowl with a store well-prepared for the game day snack rush. Do you have specific questions about how to get your store ready? Lehi Valley's team is knowledgeable about the best snack-selling practices and happy to advise! Get started now!